CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

strong as....

Lately i've been obsessed with having "ripped" arms. I'm not sure why. I've never been particularly obsessed with my arms before. They've always been there, they have always been some what toned. Not as much as my legs, but you know, I don't walk on my hands.
Here is a picture of me with bulging biceps. Do you like my workout outfit? Pretty good right? It's actually a pretty good representation of my clothes but...my hair...did not look like that at 6am this morning.

So, needless to say, today was strength training. I've graduated to doing bicep curls with 12.5 lbs weights. For a long time I used lighter weights, mostly because I didn't think I could do the heavier set. I think I could probably even use the 15's...but babysteps people.

I'm not sure why I want really ripped arms.
Ok, that is a lie. I know part of the reason. Do you guys' have a sister in law? Or 2 ? or 10? I only have one (for now, eventually I may have 2). But the one I have now is my husband's sister. She is three years older than my husband, which makes her six years older than me. I don't really feel the age difference between us, we are pretty much at the same stage in our lives, except that she's been out of college longer. They don't have kids, and they were married just a month after us. Either way, she calls my husband and I "the kids." It's bugs him no end, but that isn't the point of this. The point is that tacit competition that happens between women. You know what I mean, even with your friends. What is the deal with women....we have a hard time being supportive. Anyway, my sister in law...she is a very sweet woman, but she just can't quite figure out how to relate to me, how to deal with the fact that her brother is an adult. So, she is distant and aloof....and there is this unspoken competition between us. It's not uber blatant, and we don't sit around seeing who has the bigger whatever. But...if I talk about not eating HFCS, she makes a comment "oh you are so healthy, you are so good." I can't explain it, it is just condescending. She is smaller than I am, but carries weight in her arms. I'm pretty sure that part of the reason I want really toned arms, is so that I can know, in that part of me, I'm better than her.

It's ugly....but it's the truth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wait, for a minute there, I thought you were talking about my sil! But not only is mine competitive, she's in my face about it. So you go! Get those strong arms and stay away from HFCS...and let her voice drip with disdain and condescension. And you let that stuff just roll off your back as you smile and walk away.

Allison said...

Karen,
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Anonymous said...

new to ur blog nice posts
Natural
Healthy