CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

hypnotic

Every morning at the gym, between 7:10 and 7:20 there is a commercial on the TV for "Positive Changes Hypnosis." It's a weight loss commercial. I sort of like the irony that presents itself in this situation. It's the women's locker room, and all the women who are dedicated enough to their health to be at the gym, early enough, or for long enough to need to use the gym locker room to get ready for work at eight, hear this commercial, about weight loss. I guess I should say, I assume that no one at the gym is being hypnotized into weight loss, so the fact that we ALWAYS see that commercial, while standing half naked after a work out, makes me laugh. Every time it comes on, I want to make a comment to my fellow "regulars." But I don't, because in the 11 months I've been at this gym, no one else has said anything. And....when it comes down to it...How do I know that they don't think this is a good idea.

I think it's a gimmick.

I think it's a gimmick like all other "diet" trends (LA Weightloss Centers, etc). I also don't understand how it works....they hypnotize you...and you don't want to over eat anymore and all of a sudden you like to exercise? Do you walk around in a permanent state of semi-hypnosis? I've heard of this technique being used on smokers as well.....
So is it Negative reinforcement? How strong is our unconcious mind? It's like subliminal messages.

I think I have to believe it's a gimmick. I have to scoff at it, and say in my head "yeah right, we ALL know the only way to lose weight/ be healthy" is to eat good, whole nutritious foods, less junk and have an active life style." If I don't say that in my head, on the days that my pants are just a little too tight, or I just can't seem to make my self quit eating the ice cream out of the container with a spoon....I might be willing to give hypnosis a try.

3 comments:

*Kelly* said...

I've always been curious about the whole hypnosis deal. I don't think I'd ever have the nerve to go through with it, but the mind is a more powerful tool that I think we're aware of...and I think that people who are more prone to believe things might actually "be able" to be hypnotized. It's really nothing more than Pavlov's dogs...if you keep ringing that bell, there will be drool!

Anonymous said...

i cant decide. I have a friend whos mother does hypnosis for a living, and she says you cant make anyone do something they dont want to (like you cant make someone kill somebody or anything...well unless they wanted to) but if you really want to quit smoking, you are just addicted, you can break the addiction somehow by making the part that wants to quit stronger? i dunno. i dont really get it. that was a waste of space. sorry.

www.groundedfitness.com

Anonymous said...

I think if hypnosis really worked obesity wouldn't be an epidemic in America. My motto: eat less, move more.