CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

orange you glad...I didn't say Banana?

I don't have a creative title to this post.

So last night I made Banana Bread. We had three bananas...that didn't get eaten on time, (I'm picky about my banana consistencies.....) but I knew in a few days they would be perfect for baking.

I have an aunt who is moving, and she recently gave me about 15 of her cookbooks that she doesn't use. Some of them I'll probably never use, some have VERY advanced recipes with complicated ingredients. I'm all about the simple. This book is one of them. It has a 30 page commentary in the front by one of the authors, talking all about her families journey from eating the S.A.D (Standard American Diet) to a vegetarian whole foods diet. Very interesting. I knew this book would have a banana bread recipe.....and it is a winner! (well..I modified it).
This is what happens when you put your baking pans in two different places. You can't find your loaf pan, so you bak your bread in a casserole dish. :) I found my loaf pan though, it was with my cooling racks.
So, my bread is more "bar" like...and that is ok...because the consistency is like gooey doughy bars. SO.AMAZING! seriously....best banana "bread" I've ever had.
And, I seem to have uploaded this picture twice and can't make one go away.

Anyway..Here is the recipe I used:
3 SUPER ripe bananas (like..almost moldy...gross i know)
3 tsps lemon juice (the recipe called for the juice of one lemon, I used the bottle equivalent)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar (butter and sugar in copious amounts, the foundation of all great baking right :) )
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon salt
dash vanilla.

mix together bananas and lemon juice until smooth
In a seperate bowl cream butter and sugar together
Combine all wet ingredients, stir until well combined.

Combine all dry ingredients.....fold in wet ingredients.
Bake 30-40 minutes.
Seriously so dough-y.

6 comments:

littlecalder said...

oo, that looks yummy! i love a good banana bread. i might have to find an excuse to make some before long!

arielle said...

I have that cookbook, love it. I'll have to check out this recipe.

Allison said...

Littlecalder-This bread was fantastic!

Arielle-Have you made any other recipes out of it?

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was fortunate that you didn't find your loaf pans. Your banana bread looks like it worked fabulously as a bar.

littlecalder said...

i just made this today at work, and every one loved it! i work at a health food store, and we had a ton of suuuuuuppperrr squishy bananas, so my boss said that i could make a batch for the store. woo!
based on that we had, i subbed cane sugar and agave for the brown sugar, oil for the butter, and then i used a tsp each of baking powder and soda, figuring i would split the difference between you and laurel. i also had to make them in muffin papers just placed on a cookie sheet, since that was the only baking implement that we had..
long story short though, they were amazing! thanks for the inspiration!

Allison said...

Little Calder-
Yum! Yours sound good. Glad to inspire!