CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mean Green Chicken...

A few weeks ago, one of my co-workers brought a recipe magazine that she had found at the check out stand of a hardware store, to work with her. There are only 2 other women who work in my office, and often we share recipes, especially around the holidays. Well, this "cookbook" that she brought in featured Chicken! Every single recipe was focused around chicken. What a fantastic idea! Put a cookbook, near the checkout stand of the hardware store, busy people, busy lives, and give them a consolidated book of recipes on how to spice up that old family dinner stand-by!

I took the book home for the weekend to copy some recipes out of it, and the one I made last night was the very first one to catch my eye. It's so simple it's disgusting...and I am all about simple. I start making dinner with-in 5 minutes of walking in my door....I come home hungry! None of this eat between 7-9pm like most adults with out children. Dinner is usually on the table by no later than six...so I like to look for healthy, interesting recipes that I can make FAST!

The real name of this recipe is "Salsa Chicken" verrry inventive! I've changed it to Mean Green Chicken...and I figured what better day to make it than on St. Patricks Day!
Seriously..so easy.
1. Cut chicken into strips or chunks. Cook in 1 tbsp olive oil (or any oil you like) for about 3 mins.
2. Cut a bell pepper ( the recipe calls for green, but I"m sure this can be open to interpretation, think of all the fun color combos!) Add it to the chicken and cook for about 3 mins.
3. Add salsa (the recipe calls for 2 cups, I think it's orginally for 4 or 6 people though) I used about 3/4 of a jar of green salsa. This was actually be default, it was what we already had, but it worked well into the green theme. Bring Salsa to a boil, then simmer for 3 minutes un covered.

I think I actually cooked it for a bit longer..and I didn't really let it get to boil.
Can you believe that amount of chicken is only TWO chicken breasts? Ick, Genetic Modification is gross..but it makes food cheaper!

I served this over risotto (cooked the lazy way in the rice cooker). It was really really good. I always cook enough for about four people. That leaves enough for both my husband and I, and either a second meal or, someones lunch.
So, I'll be having this meal around 12:30 today!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, that looks good. I had no idea most adults w/o kids ate so late! I would be famished if I had to wait until 7pm to eat dinner.