CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dinner DISASTER!

So I had grand plans for last night.
I got off work early, and I'd been thinking all afternoon about what I was going to make to dinner before Scott and I went out for the first half of our Valentines Date. We were going to see a movie downtown (about 30 mins from our house) at 7:45.

I decided on Potato Soup...I made this recipe for the first time on saturday, and still had ingredients. It's pretty quick and turned out really well on saturday.
I made the recipe straight from the book on sat. and I've been thinking of ways to modify it.

Well, last night I made the soup and everything was going gloriously, until I turned my back as the broth was coming to a boil, and it boiled over. Damn. I then tried to compensate for the lost liquid and added too much, so in stead of a nice creamy soup, it was a little watery.

Here is the Recipe for Spicy Potato Soup
Adapted from " Help My Apartment has a Kitchen."
1 heaping spoonfull of minced garlic
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
10.5 ounces beef broth
10.5 ounces water
1 large potato (or two small ones)
1 cup shredded cheese (any kind, a great way to add variety in flavor)
diced jalapenos
pepper

Instructions:
Melt butter in the bottom of a medium pan, after melted brown garlic in butter.
add flour to butter/ garlic mixture...it is important the flour mixes thoroughly, avoid clumping!
add Beef Broth and Water-Bring to Boil
While broth is coming to a boil cut up potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces
Add potatoes to soup and bring back to a boil.
Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 15 mins.
Add diced jalapenos and simmer for five more minutes or until potatoes are soft.
Turn off heat, and with the back of a spoon mash potatoes against the side of the pot, leaving some whole pieces for texture.
Add cheese and stir until melted.
Add pepper to taste.

Seriously, it's good and I love the fact that It doesn't use cream.

With it I made spinach salad and bought some french bread.

0 comments: