CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 21, 2008

a balancing act

I shouldn't have skipped the gym yesterday...it made me want to skip again today. ahh...the evil blackhole of comfortable beds! But, I didn't skip...mainly because today is Pilates! woohoo! I haven't been able to make it to my Pilates class for almost a month due to snow and then to sickness. It was tough, I always forget how differently pilates and yoga work my body than weights do.

Pre work out snack was half a banana (that had been sitting in the refridge since yesterday morning) cut in half to make a peanutbutter sandwich. Why haven't I tried this sooner? I just wish my banana hadn't been semi-gross, but it was soo good.

Went with the berries in the oatmeal this morning for a change, and for the health benefits of berries.
Instead of adding flax after cooking, I added it to the dry oats before I nuked them. It mixed in well and I avoided that feeling of flax in my teeth!

Morning snack about 9:45 am...the last tangelo :( These were so juicy!
So, I know that lots of people are in love with flax, and I've just finished reading about it in SuperFoods RX, but I don't feel like the addition of flax keeps me full any longer than sans flax. I know that it has health benefits regardless, but it does not help my full factor at all.
Eating Out
So, last night we went to dinner at the Brick 29 Bistro, I wish their menu was available online for me to link to. I had Smoked Chicken Pasta; penne with chicken, muchrooms, squash, and broccoli, in a cream sauce. I have pretty much avoided cream suace for the past five years, due to high fat content. While I really like this restuarant...all of their pasta and chicken dishes involve cream, which bums me out. They do have great sounding steaks, and lamb and fish. I desperately wish I liked fish. I like canned tuna, and seafood..but I just can't make my self enjoy salmon. Maybe if I had it prepared at this restuarant...because their salmon sounds divine...minus the fish. I don't want to pay for something I don't like...but maybe it's worth the shot.
That brings me to today..one of my co-workers is leaving and we are having a "farewell' lunch for her. The admin assistant ordered mexican food..delish. At least, I think it will be.
I'm running into a conundrum here. I don't believe in deprivation, I don't believe in diets..I believe in healthy eating. And, unfortunately...a night of cream pasta, a lunch of melted cheese and cake...not healthy. I brought veggies, in fact i'm eating a few now. I'll probably snack on them throughout the day. Anyway, I want to enjoy the food around me, but not forget about the healthy thing I'm striving for, and I'm still learning how to do that.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I can relate to that slippery slope. But have faith, you've already lost more than 25 pounds. Obviously you know what you are doing and you are doing it right.

Allison said...

Karen,
Thanks so much for the vote of confidence!

Lynda Lippin said...

You really are doing incredibly well and putting thought into your food choices. When you have something creamy or cheesy or cakey just eat slower, savor the experience, and eat a bit less! Great job. You inspire me.

Lynda
Pilates & Reiki In Paradise Blog