CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Good Bye Splenda...

It’s been real…err…fake and full of chemicals. I just got finished reading “In Defense of Food…An Eater’s Manifesto.”
What a super good book. Some of the concepts in the book, weren’t new or earth shattering, but they are good reminders. Eat slowly, eat a meal, eat away from your desk or coffee table, eat with people, eat food with less than five ingredients.

What I did find fascinating was the statistics about the affects of the Western diet on cultures. And how much it costs to have Diabetes!

I’ve always had a love affair with fake sweeteners. My mom always had Sweet n’ Low in our pantry. I loved to use it on my cereal as a kid, even though my Dad never wanted me to eat it. I think the beauty (and disgustingness) of fake sweeteners is that they are so damn sweet. You can use a little , for no calories, and get as much sweetness as like 10 tablespoons of sugar. I like exaggeration today, ok I like exaggeration every day.
The point is, fake sugar has always been poison of choice. I’ve been thinking about cutting splenda out of my Diet for a while. Pretty much since I started reading healthy living blogs. Really though, what drove it home for me was In Defense of Food.
How can I claim that I want to be as healthy as possible, but dump white chemicals that are made to taste like sugar in my coffee and over my grapefruit?
So I am saying goodbye to all the pink, yellow and blue packets of sweetness.

I bought agave nectar this week at the grocery store, I’ve wanted to try it for a while, and we are finally out of honey. It coincided well with saying sayonara to splenda.

3 comments:

Sassy said...

good luck! I quit diet coke for a long time but it has been sneaking back into my fridge. :-( But I love it so!!

Anonymous said...

My sister has been raving about the Agave nectar. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

My preferred sweetener is stevia. The one I always try to avoid is aspartame, which I think should be banned by the US FDA. Other artificial sweeteners are okay with me.