CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 8, 2009

In the desert of dessert...

I remember in elementary school when a teacher was telling us about the difference in the spelling of Desert and Dessert. She said dessert has the double s because, we always want double or more dessert.

Boy howdy ain’t that the truth, at least for me. I can be full and satisfied from a meal, but offer me something sweet and I’m not going to pass it up. I often feel the “need” to finish my meal with a little something sweet. Ha, who am I kidding, I would love to end my meal with A LOT of something sweet. And that my friends, is my problem.
I totally think that having “dessert” each night is a fine thing to do, Jenna and Tina offer fabulous examples of this. My issue is that sugar triggers my body to want more sugar, which isn’t uncommon for people. So one of my challenges to myself this year is to find “desserts” that satisfy that sweet tooth, and don’t leave me wanting more.

Last week I really wanted a sweet, warm, carby baked good. But…I didn’t want to make a whole batch of cookies, cause I’ll eat them all, and some of the dough. So instead I made myself a small “dessert oatmeal” it had ¼ cup oats, 1 tsp brown sugar, and ½ tsp of Dark Chocolate Peanut butter. A little caloric, but eating the hot dessert, with a spoon, satisfied my need.

Last night I took a fruitier route….Broiled Grapefruit! We happened to have a grapefruit on it’s last days of goodness.

I cut it in half...
Sprinkled it with 1/2 tsp sugar (total over both halves) and a little pinch of brown sugar.

Popped it in the oven, under the broiler for 5 minutes (as per the directions in my Joy of Cooking Cook Book.) And..Voila!




Here is a secret..I’m a little bit afraid to broil things…I’m always afraid I’ll forget about them, and char what I’m cooking or burn the house down.

So…I didn’t let it broil as long as I should have I don’t think. But…it was good! I ate each little piece with a spoon and then had some of the juice.

I think one of the keys to dessert satisfaction for my mind is eating something warm with a spoon.

Also, look at this picture of my ring. Have you ever seen something so tragic? Not the ring..the picture. I don't have a great camera..and I also don't think I know how to use all of the functions properly either! After seeing Kath’s beautiful pictures from her new camera..I want one too! Time to start saving.





5 comments:

Janie said...

I have the same problem with sugar! I can't stop with a reasonable small serving size. That grapefruit looks great though, I have one at home. I'll have to try out your technique:)

Lori said...

That grapefruit looks yummy!

Allison said...

I have the same problem. I think I will eat a little, but once I get started, it is hard to stop. Plus, I do want something sweet after every meal. It is tough. I am hoping that seriously cutting back on diet soda and artificial sweeteners is going to help, but I doubt it. I think I just need to stay away from refined carbs in general.

*Kelly* said...

Am I the only person who can't grasp the concept of fruit as a dessert? Or in place of dessert?

Allison said...

Janie-
Do it!

Lori-
Thanks.

Allison-
Great Name! Refined carbs def. get me.

Kelly-
I am tricking myself into believing that fruit is a good enough dessert. :)