CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ogre Yogurt

I’m not sure why I chose that as my title….I was trying to find a play on words, it didn’t work out so well…

So, when I first started this blog, and started reading other healthy lifestyle blogs, it seemed like everyone was posting about greek yogurt. I searched high and low for greek yogurt and couldn’t find it in any of my local mainstream grocery stores. I finally found some at a Co-op, I think it was called “Greek God” I don’t know I posted about it, back in…February? Anyway, but still none to be found in places that I frequented normally. Such is the life when you don’t have a Whole Foods OR a Trader Joes around.
Finally this summer I found Fage. I did a happy dance in the dairy aisle, I could finally discover what everyone was raving about. And it was good..so smooth and creamy. But of course by this time, everyone else had moved on past Fageand were trying out Oikos and Chobani . Well….last week I finally happened upon Oikos! I decided upon the single serving vanilla and bought two.
The verdict? I was sorely disappointed. Maybe I had a bad batch, but the first one I tried had more of a ricotta cheese texture (I’m assuming that this was a result of being in and out of the fridge a few times before I actually ate it) and it also had a weird taste. The vanilla taste was subtle, which I like….but it has this weird fake after taste that I didn’t like. I tried it again yesterday, and while the texture was better….the taste still didn’t do it for me.
Bummer.

I would really love to try Chobani, but at the rate my state is going, it’s going to be another few months before anyone carries it.

To change the topic abruptly, I am heading down to the workout room again today. I know that if I can just stick to a whole week of this, then I will able to make it a habit. It is nice that it’s SO convenient. Now if I could just figure out a way to make my hair look good after a work out with out having to wash and blow dry again……

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about Oikos. It's more "yogurty" like regular yogurt and not as silky and thick. It's got that yogurt tang too. Trader Joe's + Chobani are the best. Fage second.

Allison said...

Fage is so much better than Oikos!

Allison said...

Kath-
I'll have to stock up on TJ's yogurt when I got visit my parents at Christmas!

allison-
Great name! and I totally agree.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could find Chobani too! Honey Okios is much better than vanilla or plain. You may want to try it!

Allison said...

Strongandhealthy-
Honey..mmm i'll have to keep my eyes open for that..I've only seen plain or vanilla.