CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 17, 2008

Baking Blunders

I love to bake. In college baking was really the first “type” of grown up cooking that I explored. Never anything fancy, but beyond making cake and cookies from a box mix. Not there is anything wrong with that, I love me some box mixes.
Anyway…the other night I realized that I had some chocolate caramel chips to use up. I wish I had taken a picture of them, they are little chips with chocolate and caramel (probably fake flavoring) mixed together and they are SUPER DECADENT. I’d used them for a quick baking project a few weeks ago and realized I should probably bake them up in something quick.

I wanted to make something a little different, so I though about adding them to oatmeal cookies (and taking out the standard raisin addition, I HATE raisins in cookies. Gross.) I found a recipe on http://www.recipes.com/ and away I went.

Well…lesson learned, never assume you have all the ingredients in your pantry.

The recipe is really quite simple, but I didn’t have brown sugar. AFTER starting the recipe, I realized that ours had hardened from lack of use, and I threw it out like two months ago. Doh! Oh and these are not healthy at all, in any way shape or form

Here is the recipe I used:
1 stick butter
Almost 1 cup of sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 ½ cup oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
Splash vanilla
½ cup chocolate caramel chips

Cream together wet ingredients.

Mix together dry ingredients, except for oats.

Mix wet and dry together, THEN mix in oats and chips.

Set it fridge until cold enough to hand with out getting sticky.

Roll into 1 ½ inch balls and place on baking sheet. Press down each cookie with fork to flatten.

Bake at 350 8-10 minutes.
These turned out pretty good. They are…interesting. They kind of taste like sugar cookies, oatmeal cookies and chocolate chip cookies all mixed in.
They are soft, but also have a delicate feel to them. Like they should be consumed with tea. I guess describing them as interesting would imply that they don’t taste good. They taste delicious.
also please excuse the hideou color of my kitchen counters. Our whole hous is umm...late 90's "chic." we're working on it. The trick to having baked goods in my house, and not over consuming them, is to tell my self that they are not off limits, but htem in a storage container in the pantry and be done with it. I also halved the original recipe. Less cookies to make…less cookies to consume.

My husband, bless his heart isn’t a big “Dessert Person,” which, in my opinion, kind of makes him a freak of nature. He also, doesn’t like it, when I do bake, if I “make it too healthy.” So..If I want help eating the treats, it’s got to be the real deal, and in a small quantity. Which, works for us. I would rather have a good decadent treat, in a small portion and feel satisfied. Also, if I can justify to myself that something is “healthy” I will eat 10 of them. Like I said….it’s a long road.

4 comments:

Tina said...

I'm the same with with treats in the house.

GroundedFitness said...

hey at least you have kitchen coutners- I have about 4 inches on each side of my kitchen sink and the rest is taken up by my microwave and coffee pot.

I dont know why but i really dont like baking. i think its because you dont get the immediate satsifaction of eating everything right afterwards, like when you make dinner. and the mess. i hate cleaning.

wow, holy negative nancy. sorry

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Allison said...

Tina-
It's soooo hard to learn control!

Kelly-
It's ok, everyone needs to be a negative nancy once in a while!
I think 30% of the reason I like baking is eating whatever dough/gloop is going to turn into a baked good tastes sooo delicious when it is raw!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here path-to-health.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Let me show you one truth. Research points that about 70% of all U.S. grownups are either fat or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.