CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 5, 2008

delicious:Thai Basil Chicken

I went to Arizona to visit my girlfriends last weekend, and one night we got to talking about how our eating and cooking habits have changed since college. The woman who was my college roomie is currently living at home, and is enjoying her mothers fabulous cooking. Lucky girl. The rest of us....fend for our selves, and when applicable our significant others.

In college we would have dinner together every monday night. We would trade of whose apartment it was at. Oh we were cute thinking we were "cooking." We usually George Foremaned (it's a verb ok) up some sort of meat. Opened a can of green beans, and usually popped open a cardboard tube of biscuits. Now, don't get me wrong, it was probably better than going to Taco Bell everynight.

I wish though, that I had been a better cook then. It's amazing what you don't know until you try things on your own...like how to plan meals for a week and grocery shop accordingly.

Anyway..I found this recipe in my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook last night:
Thai Basil Chicken.

There it is with white rice. I bought white rice and white flour tortillas for my husband this week. He said "can't why have white? Just once in a while? Wheat is so.....healthy!"

Anyway..Here is the list of ingredients:
Chicken Breasts
Jalapenos
Garlic
Fresh Basil
Fresh Mint
Sugar
Soy Sauce
Peanuts.
And olive oil for cooking chicken in.

I'm normally intimidated by fresh herbs, but I knew I could buy basil and we actually happen to have mint in our yard from the previous owner. My first use of fresh herbs from my own yard.

Anyway...you just slice the chicken up thin, and cook it with the seeded and diced jalapenos and galic. Betty thinks you should use fresh garlie..but i used the preminced stuff. Then after it's done, add the soy sauce (1 tablespoon) and the Sugar (1 teaspoon). Top with Basil, Mint and Peanuts. All chopped...and I decided...to taste..not to follow the recipe.

And it was delicious and flavorful. I guess that I know flavorful food can be easy, that chicken doesn't just have to be done on the foreman...but I can never quite translate that in recipes.

Anyway..this is now joining our "repetoire."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good. I just used our george forman tonight!