CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 27, 2009

I gave it up

So, I am giving something up for Lent. I don’t normally give things up for Lent. Infact, the whole practice of Lent wasn’t really ever a huge deal in my house growing up (it wasn’t stressed in my church, like it is in Catholic Churches).But, mostly I don’t give things up for Lent, because I never follow through.

I think it’s a similar affliction that I have with New Years Resolutions. I start out strong, and either forget about my resolution, or I fall of the wagon, and don’t hop back on again.

So, I hadn’t given much thought to giving up something for Lent, until my Husband announced a few weeks ago, that he is giving up Beer for lent. I thought he was kidding at first. He wasn’t. Beer is his chocolate. The man could go the rest of his life with out ever eating a dessert again, and he wouldn’t notice. But Beer? This is truly a sacrifice for him. Now, I’m making him sound like he is an alcoholic, he isn’t. He just enjoys a few beers on Fridays, and Saturdays. And Maybe a Tuesday.

Anyway….so I decided that I wanted to give up something to. I’m such a follower! I’ve thought and thought about this…and I thought of all the things I could give up that I probably do too much, or consume too much of, I could give up Facebook, I could give up gum, or coffee, or splenda (woops already did that, I haven’t had Splenda in a week! I don’t miss it really.). But really, none of those things would be a true sacrifice for me. A true sacrifice would be giving up desserts. Candy, Cookies, Ice Cream, Brownies, Cake, Pies….you get the idea. I have never given up sweets for Lent before, because I didn’t think I could do it.

Well…I know I can do it. It’s going to be hard. I think I will still eat “dessert” in that I will allow my self to have a small “treat” after dinner. But it can’t be any of the following items: candy, cookies, ice cream, brownies, cake, chocolate chips, etc. It can be; fruit, granola and yogurt, uh…fruit. Fruit. Fruit.

I am interested to see where this goes. I’m curious if it will add to my weight loss, or how it will make me feel.

Oh yeah, I should add…one thing I always do during Lent (and I’m better about this than the sacrifice thing) is to add something to my life that helps others. Like holding open the door for whoever is coming through it next, every time I go through a door. Or praying for a particular person for those forty days…..

Happy Friday Everyone!

1 comments:

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

you can do it! Good luck!

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com