CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I wasn’t going to post about the Oprah thing. But then Everyone did twice.

It’s funny, because I first read about this on Elasticwaist yesterday, and my knee jerk reaction was eye rolling…follow by an internal monologue of “puuhleeeze…200 pounds! If Oprah is a fat cow at 200 lbs, then I am a beached whale, blah blah blah blah blah, self righteousness blah blah blah, she has every tool in the world to be “thin”blah blah blah... she should be happy to be 200 lbs."

Then I started reading peoples comments on blog entries and I thought a little more about it.

Oprah is allowed to feel however she wants about her weight and her body, whether I think it is ridiculous or not. She is allowed to think she is a fat cow at 200 pounds, just like I am allowed to think that I am healthy and fit at 239. and people are allowed to disagree with us. It’s the beauty of free will. And..I disagree with Oprah by the way.

Now..do I think she should be “embarrassed” by gaining weight back? No.

Do I think it is extremely self deprecating and little ridiculous to create a tabloid like cover for your own magazine pointing out your failure? Yes. But clearly, the publicity worked, or the blogosphere wouldn’t be writing up a storm about it.

Alot of commenters have said they admire Oprah’s honesty. I don’t really feel one way or the other about her honesty. I also, for the record, have not read the full article, because her site is blocked at work.

When I read it, I’m really hoping it says something to the effect of , “ I am a successful, affluent, influential, self-made, powerful woman. And I realize that I don’t have to yo-yo Diet anymore. That being 200lbs doesn’t make me less of a person. I am going to strive to be the healthiest I can, at any size I can, because people look up to me and take what I say as gospel.” Only, you know…typed into a coherent, well written article.
But … maybe I am just chasing unicorns

0 comments: